Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Running a Home Town Race - Willamette Valley Marathon

 During Covid I had some interesting goals. In June of 2020 I started a running streak of at least 2 miles a day. I always wondered what that would be like. So I ran 157 days in a row until I had to have hernia surgery, which I found out I had for over 4 years which every doctor but what thought was something else. It hurt most every time I ran so long training was super hard and painful. So a week after surgery I started another streak in December of 2020 that lasted 101 days. It was fun but I found my long training would be better without the streak at my age. So I became more focused on getting back to what longer events, which brings us to this blog.

I ran the Willamette Valley Marathon in the town I grew up in, Salem, Oregon. I had never run anything further than a half marathon here. Plus I would be running in some areas that I hung out as a kid, Minto-Brown Island Park. The interesting thing about this park is a lot of it is built over the 2 largest dumps in Salem's history. We lived in the country with no garbage service so every month off we would go to the dump with the family pickup. Who would have thought one day I would be running 26.2 miles over my old shoes, footballs, clothes and unfinished green vegetables that I refused to eat off my plate as a kid. You smell methane there?? That was me! 

We started at the Salem Riverfront park which is just a great area on the Willamette River in downtown Salem. (Trivia note: My over achieving mother was on the early development committees to bring this park to life in the 1980's and 90's). Race started at 8:30 which was nice as Gail and I drove down from Lake Oswego that morning. Detour was running the half as she is a world Pickleball Ace now and doesn't have much time for silly race training. We had about 120 runners at the start and the temperature was perfect in the low 50's and overcast skies. We had a 10 to 15 mph wind at times so that was a bit painful but not brutal.  I felt well trained for the event with mileage of 36 to 40 miles a week over the last 3 weeks and one 20 mile training run. I also had run the Vernonia Marathon back on April 10th so I had a good base. 

I settled in to a nice 10:15 pace or so. My goal was to run just under 4:30. I always start a bit slow as my heart rate is always elevated for about the first 20 to 25 minutes. For example I was at about 145 bpm and then settled into 125 bpm until about 2 hours, then fatigue elevates my rate slowly until the last 6 miles when I get back to about 140 bpm. (My resting rate is 52)

Around mile 2 ish we hit the dirt part of the course. It got a little muddy along the Willamette then it got real muddy, I mean ultra mud. Some runners you can tell are road runners and they were avoiding the mud at all cost. I tried to avoid of course but at times had to get dirty. This went on for maybe a 1/3rd of a mile. Then we got back on the very nice bike paths with lots of shade.

Around mile 5 we pop out of some road, it was very empty and was actually a nice change. Then back in the park and on the bike paths. With all the heavy rain Western Oregon has gotten this spring I new portions of this trail is prone to flooding. Sure enough, water running across the trail a nearly ankle deep. I just plowed through knowing wet shoes won't kill me. Both times I crossed this I saw people sitting down taking off their shoes and wringing out their socks. Really? I guess if you have never run for an entire race with wet feet it could freak you out. 

I didn't pass many folks the first lap and this was a two lap Marathon. At the split at the half I was at 2:14 so I was a bit surprised I had a chance for my 4:30 goal. I had some really bad leg pain just below my knee and on the side of my shin for about 3 miles. It was pretty intense and was really hoping this would settle down and go away. I took 2 IB's and sure enough 20 minutes later no pain the rest of the day. 

Nutrition was a 2.5 bottles of  Nuun and Salted Carmel Gels. I would take water from cups at most Aid stations which were 2.5 miles apart. I specifically thanked the RD's after the race for having cups for me to add to my nutrition. I am not for this no paper cup race policy and I will avoid most races under a 50k that follow this. I know its great PR for you to take a picture of your only 2 bags of garbage for your "green" race but it really sucks for me to have to stop and wait for someone to fill my bottle. Ultra Marathons, fine, seconds don't matter as much but when I am racing I want the best performance I can get (and yes I am paying you for!) and not stopping but grabbing that water on the run means a lot to me. A 10k or 5k, I can understand but you are not supporting the runner in the best way possible by forcing a runner to carry a cup and wait in line. Sorry...my blog my soapbox.

The second lap I actually felt better. Got into a bit of a groove and just kept nearly the same pace. I picked off 17 runners and was only passed by one runner who I passed back at mile 23. I did slow down a bit after mile 21 but only about 10 to 15 seconds per mile. 

I had a nice tailwind the last mile so I decided to kick a bit and see if I had gas left as I was tired but actually feeling semi strong. I increased my arm pumping motion which really seems to drive my legs when I am tired. I ran a 9:30 the last mile and had a couple small climbs to the finish. I never looked at my watch the entire last 13 miles until mile 25. I didn't think I could break 4:30 but the racer had to try. 

As I came up over the bridge I saw Gail ahead waiving. It was a great feeling to see her as often it is me cheering her on as I finish first.But she ran the half and got done this time before me. I kicked even a bit more but not a sprint. I crossed the line without slowing down. (Btw why do most runners slow that last couple of strides before the line? I see even the elites do that often. Don't get that.) I looked down at my watch and what do you know? I saw 4:29:38! Woo Hoo! Damn that feels good. I tried to run 4:30 at Vernonia but ended with 4:41. 

Got my medal and gave Gail Faux Hug (she hates sweaty/stinky old men). That was fun!

We hung out and had amazing free food, beer and wine. You could have Pizza, tacos and up to 3 beers or wine each. Probably one of the best finish line food events I have seen. 

 


 I ended up finishing 3rd fastest guy over 60, so got a nice wineglass as a prize. 2 women over 60 smoked the course and beat all the men over 60. 

After having beer and food we were walking back to the car. My sandals kept folding over in the front and I would stumble a bit. Sure enough, crossing the parking lot in front of a car I did a face plant on the pavment! Took off some skin on my foot and some bruises but nothing broke. Even dropped a stemless wine glass and it didn't break!

So I highly recommend this race for a couple of reasons. One the course is great, as it has a nice mix of dirt (probably 3 to 4 miles worth), and paved trails and road. And the finisher food is great and they had plenty go around even for the back of the pack crowd. So I will do this one again someday.

Whats next? Not sure? I would like to do another marathon in late June or early July. Maybe Missoula? Maybe Sauvie again for the ka-gillionth time? Maybe a few halfs over the next month. I just want to try and stay injury free and waddle til I drop. I hate running but I sure love racing, even if it is just against myself and the clock. Let the juices flow!




 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice report! Congrats on your sub 4:30 finish and age group award. I’m still working on my return to blogging. Slowly working through the years but it will happen! Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Bret said...

For sure! I think we all need to get back to stories. I went back last month and read some of my earliest blog posts. It was like watching a movie. So many feelings came back. Was like when you smell something from 20 years ago and it brings back that instant emotional response. I look forward to reading your "catch up post!"

Anonymous said...

Great report! I’ll put this one on my list for next year! I’m with you on the cupless rant. Almost all races are charging way more so it’s nice to hear they are treating the runners right! Rob Hester